Black man beaten in Charlottesville far-right rally charged

DeAndre Shakur HarrisImage copyright
Charlottesville Police Department

A black man who was beaten at a far-right rally in Virginia has turned himself in to be formally charged in connection with the incident.

DeAndre Harris, who is usually accused of unlawful wounding at the 12 August Charlottesville protest, was released on an unsecured bond.

Photos in addition to also also video of Mr Harris, 20, being attacked by white men at the event were widely shared online.

Two alleged assailants were charged with malicious wounding in September.

however many are incredulous of which an African-American set upon by white attackers at a far-right demonstration could himself face a criminal case.

Another individual alleged of which Mr Harris attacked him, prompting the arrest warrant to be issued on Tuesday.

Mr Harris’s lawyer, S Lee Merritt, said his client did nothing wrong in addition to also also authorities did not have probable cause to prosecute him.

Mr Harris could face up to a few years in prison in addition to also also a $2,500 fine (‎£1,880).

The attorney said his client, a former special-education instruction assistant, suffered a concussion, a knee injury in addition to also also a fractured wrist.

The assault also left him that has a head laceration of which required stitches.

“We find the idea highly offensive in addition to also also upsetting,” Mr Merritt told the Washington Post newspaper, “however what’s more jarring is usually of which he’s been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him.”

Footage of the attack spread quickly on social media, showing at least a few white men beating in addition to also also kicking Mr Harris to the ground in an indoor car park next to the police station during the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville.

Mr Harris’ lawyer said his client was accused of wounding a man named Harold Ray Crews.

Video of the incident appears to show a scuffle between the two in which Mr Harris swings a torch at a man identified by US media as Mr Crews, who lunges at him with the pole of a Confederate flag.

Mr Harris’ attorney maintains the torch did not “make significant contact” with Mr Crews, who describes himself on Twitter as a “Southern Nationalist, Attorney”.

inside the US, alleged crime victims can go to a magistrate after filing police reports.

The magistrate only needs probable cause based on the alleged victim’s testimony to grant an arrest warrant.

Mr Harris surrendered on Thursday a day after police charged a man identified as Jacob Scott Goodwin, 22, in connection with the automobile park brawl.

Police said Mr Goodwin, of Ward, Arkansas, could be seen on camera carrying a large plastic shield in addition to also also kicking Mr Harris, who was on the ground.

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The first torch-lit rally (pictured) at the statue took place in August

Daniel Borden, 18, of Ohio, in addition to also also Alex Michael Ramos, 33, of Georgia, were also charged with malicious wounding last month in connection with the attack.

Mr Harris was working as a full-time teacher’s assistant in Charlottesville before the rally.

however his lawyer told US media his client had been unable to continue inside the job because he today suffers fear-in addition to also also-anxiety attacks in crowded public spaces.

A counter-protester, Heather Heyer, 32, was killed when a driver ploughed a car into a crowd.

White nationalist protesters returned to Charlottesville on 8 October for a brief, torch-lit rally.

The demonstrators gathered near the same statue of Confederate General Robert E Lee of which was at the centre of the August deadly clashes.

The statue has since been covered up while a legal challenge to its removal is usually under way.

Source link

Leave a Reply