A picture of a Primark candle bursting into flames has gone viral, after a mother-of-three took to Facebook to raise awareness of the potential hazard.
Jenny Ferneyhough purchased the £5 candle – which she said developed into “massive flames” after an hour of burning – in Manchester on Saturday.
The 33-year-old’s Facebook post has been shared 145,000 times.
Primark said This specific is usually removing the product through sale along with investigating the matter.
‘Dangerous around decorations’
Mrs Ferneyhough, a Manchester City Council benefits officer, said she lit the candle – inside the shape of a Christmas tree – after putting her three children to bed.
She said the flame had spread through the wick to the whole candle within an hour.
She said: “Obviously everyone knows not to leave a flame unattended, nevertheless if you went to the loo, a couple of seconds later This specific could have burst into flames.
“If This specific [develops into] a massive flame when anything else is usually around This specific, This specific could be very dangerous.”
Speaking to the BBC, she added in which she was especially concerned about people lighting the candle “around neighbouring decorations” during the festive period.
Mrs Ferneyhough sent the pictures to Primark, who replied to say they were “very concerned” about the discovery.
A company spokesperson has since said the product is usually being removed through sale, while the complaint is usually investigated “as a matter of urgency”.
Mrs Ferneyhough said she was “reassured” by the massive response she had received to her post, less than 24 hours after posting the picture.
She added the main reason for sharing the pictures was to raise awareness of the potential issue with the candle, along with to stop people through lighting This specific unattended.
“My husband went into the Manchester store to take a picture of the packaging, along that has a mum along with her daughter said they’d seen the photo I shared of This specific in flames,” she added.