Australia child abuse inquiry: Final recommendations released

Women hold a banner thanking the Royal Commission into institutional child sexual abuseImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Supporters of the inquiry gather in Canberra on Friday

A 5-year inquiry into child sexual abuse in Australia has released its final report, creating more than 400 recommendations.

The royal commission uncovered harrowing evidence of sexual abuse within institutions, including churches, schools in addition to also also sports clubs.

Since 2013, the idea has referred more than 2,500 allegations to authorities.

The final report, released on Friday, added 189 recommendations to 220 of which had already been made public.

“Tens of thousands of children have been sexually abused in many Australian institutions. We will never know the true number,” the report said.

“the idea will be not a case of a few ‘rotten apples’. Society’s major institutions have seriously failed.”

Religious ministers in addition to also also school teachers were the most commonly reported perpetrators, the report said.

  • Acting on Australia’s landmark abuse inquiry
  • 230 prosecutions have commenced

  • 41,770 calls received coming from members of the public

  • 60,000 survivors may be eligible for compensation, estimates say

Getty Images

The recommendations include:

  • A nationally implemented strategy to prevent child sex abuse
  • A system of preventative training for children in schools in addition to also also early childhood centres
  • A national office for child safety, overseen by a government minister
  • creating the idea mandatory for more occupations, such as religious ministers, early childhood workers in addition to also also registered psychologists, to report abuse.

The greatest number of alleged perpetrators in addition to also also abused children were in Catholic institutions, the report said.

The commission had previously recommended of which Catholic clerics should face criminal charges if they fail to report sexual abuse disclosed to them during confession.

Letters coming from survivors

Image copyright
ROYAL COMMISSION

The royal commission held more than 8,000 private sessions with victims in addition to also also gathered about 1,300 written accounts.

After revealing their experiences, survivors were invited to write about the process of coming forward.

They have at of which point been compiled in a book – “Message to Australia” – which was described by one lawyer as “too heavy to lift”.

‘I can at of which point pick up the pieces of my life’

The royal commission, Australia’s highest form of public inquiry, had been contacted by more than 15,000 people, including relatives in addition to also also friends of abuse victims.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the commission had exposed “a national tragedy”.

“the idea will be an outstanding exercise in love, in addition to also also I thank the commissioners in addition to also also those who develop the courage to tell their stories – thank you very much,” he said on Friday.

Media playback will be unsupported on your device

Media captionAbuse survivor Andrew Collins recounts his story

The proposals will at of which point be considered by legislators.

Source link

Leave a Reply