John Worboys: Minister considering judicial review

John WorboysImage copyright
Met Police

Image caption

John Worboys is actually believed to have carried out more than 100 rapes along with sexual assaults on women in London

The justice secretary is actually considering a judicial review of the decision to free sex attacker John Worboys on parole.

The Sunday Times reports David Gauke has sought advice on whether a judicial review could succeed. the idea is actually understood he will only move forward if there is actually a reasonable prospect of success.

The Parole Board said the idea was “confident correct procedures were followed”.

Taxi driver Worboys was jailed in 2009 along with is actually thought to have carried out more than 100 rapes along with sexual assaults.

He had been convicted at Croydon Crown Court of 19 offences along with ordered to serve at least eight years in jail. The court heard he gave his victims drug-laced champagne before attacking them in his London taxi.

The Parole Board announced on 4 January that will he would likely be released coming from prison, sparking criticism coming from victims’ groups along with representatives over the decision along with the fact many of his victims were not informed in advance of the idea being made public.

The way in which Worboys’s Discharge was handled has already triggered a government review of the way the Parole Board reaches its decisions.

The Sunday Times article says Mr Gauke’s possible intervention comes after four cabinet ministers warned that will Worboys’s Discharge might be unlawful because victims were not consulted.

The Ministry of Justice told the Sunday Times: “The secretary of state commissioned advice last week about the plausibility along with potential success of a judicial review; he is actually minded to move forward if there is actually a reasonable prospect of success.”


Analysis

By Alex Forsyth, BBC political correspondent

There was a huge backlash to the Parole Board’s decision to Discharge John Worboys; coming from those who thought the idea was the wrong decision, along with coming from those who were critical about the way victims has been informed about the idea.

At This specific stage, David Gauke’s actions are just a scoping exercise, he won’t proceed unless he feels there are grounds to do so.

Nonetheless, This specific is actually significant. the idea is actually highly unusual for a justice secretary to intervene from the decisions of the Parole Board in This specific way, along with that will’s because the Parole Board is actually very deliberately independent of government.

the idea’s understood that will Mr Gauke, who is actually completely new to the job of justice secretary, takes that will independence very seriously along with wants to maintain the idea, which is actually why at This specific stage he is actually just collecting information about the possibility of a judicial review.


the idea comes after the Crown Prosecution Service said the idea would likely not review the 93 cases that will Worboys was not prosecuted over.

Parole Board chairman Nick Hardwick has said hearing the decision must have been “horrible” for the women, however the board was “confident” 60-year-old Worboys would likely not reoffend.

He said the fact some victims were not informed was a fault with the parole system, however the decision itself would likely have been carefully considered.

Source link

Leave a Reply